Note: The past several weeks have been about straight-up stress management: the stress response, diaphragmatic breathing, stress pride, progressive muscle relaxation, and sleep hygiene. Now, the focus will shift toward using mindfulness and energy practices to be more present and fulfilled in your daily life – now and forever.
What Are You Allowing Into Your Space?
I wrote a few weeks ago about Bad Apples – those people who contage others with their negativity. We’ve probably all been one at some time or another.
Today’s post is about the other side: what you choose to take in.
Lots of us unconsciously (or even consciously) take in lots of other people’s garbage – their opinions, judgments, negativity, etc., and it wreaks havoc with our sense of well-being.
This is especially true if you’re sensitive and empathic – and also when you’re stressed, down, or overwhelmed.
A complaining stranger deflates your good mood.
A colleague makes a snide remark that you take in – and take personally.
A friend relieves his own angst by emotionally vomiting all over you, and you’re covered in it all day.
Hours – or sometimes even days – later, you’re still bothered. You go over it in your mind, stew in a foul mood, and/or feel bad about yourself. It’s hard to get rid of it.
The reality: You rolled out the red carpet and welcomed this into your space, whether you did so consciously or not.
The good news: By being observant and intentional, you can change that.
Your Energy Field Is an Elite Space
Think of your energy field as a bubble around you. Your own personal space, with you 24/7.
You’re likely aware of this boundary whether you’ve ever thought of it consciously or not.
We can sense – even with our eyes closed – when someone’s too close physically, even if they’re not actually touching our body. We refer to it as ‘violating’ our personal space because it does feel like an intrusion.
Similarly, we can let negative energy – words, emotions, moods, or other unwanted ickiness – ruin our energy field’s atmosphere, sometimes so much so that it feels heavy, thick, and toxic.
If you want to your energy field to be a VIP space, you must be very choosy about what’s allowed inside and who is on the guest list.
You have to be your own bouncer.
Energy Field Bouncer
As your energy field’s official bouncer, you can drop the velvet rope and welcome guests like peace, beauty, fun, silliness, love, and laughter.
When something looks like it’s gonna ruin your vibe, however, deny it entry into your energy field. If something does sneak in, find it, calmly toss it over your shoulder, and haul it to the curb so the good times can continue.
All is takes is regular attention, intention, and a little practice.
How to Make Your Energy Field a VIP Space
Prepare your field every morning, filling it with only the best quality energy – and periodically check to make sure it stays that way. It just takes a few minutes and can profoundly change your day.
- Start slow, easy, diaphragmatic breathing. Do this throughout the exercise.
- As you breathe, sense your energy within you and the field around you. Feel (or imagine – that’s fine) it extending 6-12 inches beyond your physical body.
- Visualize breathing in pure, bright, clean energy through your nose, sweeping up and around your skull, washing your brain and exhaling any worries, stress, and other unwanted thoughts as they drain out of your field.
- Move throughout your body one area at a time, inhaling that bright energy into your shoulders, arms, chest, belly, pelvis, legs, and feet – and exhaling out any stale, stuck, or negative energy.
- Once you’ve gone through your body, do the field around you the same way, sending bright, pure energy in the area all around you and exhaling out anything that you want to let go. Imagine yourself sitting in the middle of this bubble. Feel its boundary and imagine it sparkling with only the best-quality energy.
- When your thoughts wander, gently bring them back to the breath.
- Continue to breathe, enjoying this feeling of lightness all around you.
- Set an intention to keep your field bright by maintaining awareness throughout the day.
- Scan again at different points in your day and use your breath to clean it up and brighten it as needed.
- Do a final scan at bedtime to clear your field and prepare for high-quality sleep.
With regular practice, this will become a habit. Your field will gradually become stronger and clearer, making it much easier to welcome the good and send the unwanted stuff back.
Keeping Your Energy Field Clear
If you feel something get in, even if you didn’t catch it right away, ask yourself “Do I want to keep this?”
If the answer is no, kick it to the curb politely but forcefully, using your breath to clear it.
If it’s stuck, find the place in your body where you feel it, gather it up with a few inhales, and then forcefully exhale it out. Shake it off, stomp your feet, make some noise to move it – do whatever feels like it moves that energy out of your physical body and field. Visualize the unwanted energy leaving, draining from you.
You may need to repeat this process more than once, as this stuff sometimes needs more help finding the exit. That’s fine.
Last – and importantly, breathe in pure, high-quality energy, replacing the crap with what you do want so that once again, your energy field is VIP-only.
When your energy field is clear, you can decide if a conversation or other intervention would be helpful to address the situation. You may also opt to journal, talk with a friend, or process what happened in some other way to release any lingering emotion or connection to it.
Imagine if everyone took care of their energy field this way…
What have you experienced with regard to your energy field?
How do you maintain it? What happens when something tries – or does – get in?
I’d love to hear about your bouncer experiences, so please share them in the comments section below. And as always, if you like this post, I’d appreciate your ‘liking’ it – and sharing it with others. Thanks!